Current Read
With the announcement of a "Batman Begins" type restart to the Bond franchise in 2006, I decided to pick up a copy of the first Bond book ever published: Casino Royale. Forget everything you've heard and/or seen in the Bond films. The literary Bond is so much more.
Ever since the cold war ended, the Bond films have gotten more ridiculous and over-the-top with villains and plot lines. They say they are going back to a "From Russia With Love" (the second "official" film) type spy film. My suggestion: if you haven't seen that movie, watch it; if you haven't read Casino Royale, read it. There's a little bit of something for everyone and if you hear a mention of Bond and think of movies like Moonraker and Diamonds are Forever, this will change your perception of that character completely....and for the better, in my opinion.
Next book: Live and Let Die...and after just a single chapter I can see that the film did Fleming's work little justice.


2 Comments:
I've read all the Bond novels and seen all the movies... Casino Royale was a great book, but I'm not sure about the upcoming film... Daniel Craig just doesn't strike me as Bond...
"Live & Let Die" was an interesting novel with some good action sequences, and very controversial. There is a chapter entitled "N****R Heaven," and Ian Fleming injected some of his views on race into the novel. He was an outspoken man, to say the least.
I share your hesitation over Daniel Craig. Here's to his surprising us all with a great performance that revitalizes the franchise.
Post a Comment
<< Home